Celebrating 50 Years of SEOPA
By Jim Casada, SEOPA First VP and 2014 Conference Chairman
The Southeastern Outdoor Press Association will celebrate its 50th anniversary at Fontana Village, N.C., where a group of outdoor communicators gathered to launch the organization back in 1964. Put the dates of October 8-11 on your calendar now and begin making plans to attend this special event.
The conference will be part homecoming, part celebration, part professional development and all fun.
In addition to regular conference events like the Tourism Showcase, Awards Banquet, Breakout Day, Auction, and Shooting Day, special highlights will include:
- speakers with close connection to the high country who will share their expertise through the lens of mountain ways
- special recognition of individuals who have served SEOPA in a worthy fashion throughout its decades of existence
- opportunities to learn from the accumulated wisdom of fellow outdoor communicators
- special programs for families of members and local youth interested in the outdoors
- an opportunity for members and spouses to experience local culinary traditions
- and much more.
Breakout Day / Shooting Event
The 2014 SEOPA Annual Fall Conference begins with registration and the Tourism Showcase on Wednesday, Oct. 8 and ends with a Pickin’ and Grinnin’ celebration on Saturday night, Oct. 11. In addition to attending a variety of workshops, members are encouraged to participate in Breakout Day and the annual Shooting Event. These outings offer great hands-on experience and interview opportunities.
Countless story ideas and promotional partnerships are developed during the Tourism Showcase. This interactive gathering fosters communications and exchange of ideas between writers, corporate personnel and tourism representatives in a relaxed, social atmosphere.
Expanding your skills and knowledge on a continuing basis is key to being a successful outdoor communicator, and there is no better place to do so than at the annual SEOPA conference. Networking with fellow members and guest speakers provides invaluable insight, information and inspiration.
Look for updates and additional information on SEOPA’s golden anniversary gathering in coming weeks and months. Meanwhile, check the links below for reservations and more information about Fontana Village and Graham County.
Conference Registration Information
Conference registration will begin June 1, 2014.
(Special rate available through Sept. 10)
To reserve your room at Fontana Village Resort:
- Call the resort directly at 1-800-849-2258 and use Group Code SEOPA14 to receive special conference rates.
- Rates start at $101 plus tax and vary depending upon accommodations, which include lodge rooms, Cabana rooms (poolside), and one-, two-, or three-bedroom cabins. Some rooms and cabins have fireplaces. Click here for details, but be sure to use the Group Code “SEOPA 2014″ to receive special rates.
- Please retain a confirmation code and make sure you understand the cancellation policy.